This is a non-merit position with the Iowa Communications Network.
The Iowa Telecommunications and Technology Commission (ITTC), as authorized by Code of Iowa Chapter 8D, is seeking candidates for appointment to the Executive Director position at the Iowa Communications Network (ICN). The appointee is subject to confirmation by the Iowa Senate. The appointee will also be subject to a background check conducted by the State of Iowa.
The Executive Director will represent the ITTC in its role as the sole authority to supervise management, development, and operation of the ICN. On an ongoing basis, the Executive Director works closely with private sector telecommunications companies, elected officials, and authorized network users (federal, state, educational, judicial, healthcare, etc).
The ICN is a state-of-the-art fiber optic network providing telecommunications services to its authorized users including high-speed broadband Internet, data, voice, security, and consulting services to K-12 schools, higher education institutions, hospitals and clinics, state and federal government, National Guard armories, and libraries.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Through division managers, administer, direct, and coordinate comprehensive substantive programs which have a direct impact on ICN customers and services.
- Ensure compliance with all statutory and regulatory requirements, policies, and procedures applicable to the operation of the ICN.
- Provide support and information for ITTC policy-making and carry out the decisions of the ITTC.
- Communicate with appropriate state leaders, agency personnel, and legislators regarding financial matters which may affect the overall operations of the ICN.
- Focus the ICN as a business, by developing business cases for investing ICN resources, and planning and managing financial resources via realistic short, intermediate, and long-term financial and business goals.
- Evaluate and resolve operational problems; develop policies and procedures fostering coordination among subordinate managers.
- Direct the preparation of ITTC budgets and related governmental expenditures.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with a broad spectrum of people, to include: private sector representatives, elected officials (federal, state) and representatives of authorized Network users.
- Ensure that the use, design, and implementation of the Network for education applications and educational users are given the highest priority.
- Develop or direct the development of administrative rules, legislative proposals, and policies and procedures required to manage ICN programs and projects having major impact upon state government operation.
- Strategic planning: Identify long-term goals and champion the implementation of different or alternative ideas.
- Vision: Successfully use a mix of private and public input to plan and articulate an ICN “vision” to internal and external customers, with a strong mission statement and accompanying goals.
- In-depth Problem Solving and Analysis: Solve difficult problems through careful and systematic evaluation of information, including possible alternatives and consequences.
- Championing Change: Take action to drive, support, and implement change initiatives effectively.
- Driving for Results: Challenge and push the organization as well as self, to excel and achieve.
- Influencing and Persuading: Convince others to adopt a course of action.
- Managing Others: Direct and lead others to accomplish organizational goals and objectives.
- Organizational Savvy: Recognize and understand organizational politics and work within organizational dynamics to accomplish objectives.
- Business Acumen: Understand general business and financial concepts, understand ICN’s business, and use both general and specific knowledge to be effective.
- Integrity: Uphold a high standard of fairness and ethics in everyday words and actions.
- Courage of Convictions: Have the personal courage to address difficult issues in the face of potential opposition.
- Presentation Skills: Be able to effectively communicate to an audience in formal and informal settings.
- Continuous Learning: Strive to expand knowledge and refine skills through education and training. Inspire others to develop and refine the knowledge and skills relevant to their work.
- Talent Development and Management: Develop individual abilities by coaching, mentoring, and advising – challenge others to improve. Address performance issues and groom general and executive staff for advancement.
- Flexibility: Demonstrate adaptability and openness to alternative solutions and flexibility when interacting with others – understand their attitudes, needs, interests, and perspectives.
Essentials of the Position:
- Ability to be sensitive to high public profile of the ICN and its impact on various stakeholder groups.
- Excellent knowledge of telecommunications and financial management practices.
- Ability to deal in a professional manner with elected officials, government officials, and a variety of other high-level positions.
- Ability to work with the educational community to ensure a strong partnership.
- Ability to create and communicate a ‘vision’ for the ICN and establish and implement the plan for that vision.
- Ability to work in a team environment – providing leadership and management for all staff related to the operation of the ICN.
- Ability to interact with customers in a consistent, businesslike, customer service oriented manner.
- Ability to adjust to change or difficult situations impacting people or groups, and tactfully deal with people.
- Ability to speak, write, and understand English.
- Possess working level knowledge of PC based software applications, including Google applications and Microsoft Excel and Word.
Email questions to email@example.com