The Technology Association of Iowa (TAI) is looking for a proven communication and public relations professional who can deliver vision, strategy, and execution for TAI and the Iowa Technology Industry. This dynamic professional will lead TAI’s communication strategy across the entire organization. This position is located in downtown Des Moines and reports to the VP of Development.
The Director of Communications and Public Relations owns all internal and external communications through a robust content calendar. Candidates should have solid experience with Customer Relationship Management Systems (CRM) and KPI metrics, as well as demonstrated experience planning and managing multi-channel marketing campaigns on social media and email from end-to-end. Responsible for driving attendees to the next TAI event and assisting in converting new members by segmenting existing contact lists. A solid background in customer acquisition and digital marketing best practices is essential to be successful in this role.
A successful candidate is a detail-oriented, strategic storyteller with editorial-level writing skills who is constantly learning and developing opportunities to create content that tells the story of Iowa’s technology industry, including TAI’s programs, events, and members. They will work closely with all members of the TAI team, and its members, as well as with outside vendors, including graphic designers, writers, and photographers.
- Works with the Vice President and TAI team to develop a strategic long-range plan consistent with the organization’s goals.
- Creates and positions content relevant to TAI and Iowa’s technology industry to high value audiences.
- Develop and implement an integrated earned media and media relations program that increases statewide name recognition, supports member retention and new member development, and promotes TAI’s mission to build and unite Iowa’s technology industry.
- Develop and edit promotional publications, such as newsletters, press releases, fundraising collateral, program, and event marketing materials.
- Responsible for oversight of CRM software platform MemberPress.
- Maintain TAI brand image and identity, which includes the use of logos and signage. • Orchestrate special events communication, such as sponsor recognition, to gain public attention through the media without advertising directly. Direct activities of external agencies, establishments, or vendors that develop and implement communication strategies and information programs.
- Own TAI social media platforms (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook) including drafting content, taking photos, and tagging stakeholders.
- Maintain TAI website content and signature event pages.
- Draft speeches for TAI leadership and arrange interviews and other forms of contact.
- Work with partners to produce podcasts and video products, regulate their distribution, and operate a content library.
- Maintain company archives of member logos, photos, and social media profiles.
- Strong integrated and strategic communications capabilities are required, including the proven ability to develop and implement effective communication plans, provide communications counsel, and present communications plans/results to various audiences.
- Ability to communicate persuasively, both orally and in writing.
- Interact and communicate across various stakeholder groups, with the ability to tailor and segment a message to each audience.
- Excellent storyteller with superior attention to detail, writing, and editing skills. • Natural curiosity with an enthusiastic attitude.
- Working knowledge of Google Suite products (including Analytics and AdWords) and WordPress.
- Experience with Adobe Suite of products.
- Experience with Mailchimp, Hootsuite, and CRM software.
- Willing and able to travel with personal transportation throughout Iowa for events and meetings (2 – 4 times/month) with occasional overnights.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a degree in a related field such as public relations, marketing, journalism, communications, English, and/or other related discipline required.
- At least 7 years of communication and public relations experience.
- Accreditation by a professional society such as the Public Relations Society of America is desirable but not required.
To apply, email a resume and cover letter to Tyler Wyngarden at firstname.lastname@example.org.