TAI Announces 2023 State and Federal Policy Priorities
DES MOINES, Iowa (December 13, 2022) – The Technology Association of Iowa (TAI) releases its 2023 State and Federal principles and priorities leading into the 2023 Iowa legislative year.
“Heading into the 2023 session, we are eager to build on our policy positions and have identified key areas of focus centered on data privacy and cybersecurity-related legislation,” stated Brian Waller, president of the Technology Association of Iowa. “We will also actively support legislation that advances talent development, computer science education, innovation, and making Iowa a more inclusive and equitable place to build technology careers.”
TAI 2023 Legislative Principles:
- Champion policies that attract human and financial capital to Iowa.
- Elevate Iowa (rural and urban) as the premier state for technology workforce.
- Promote policies that foster a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ensure Iowa’s K-12 through college education systems prepare Iowa students for successful high-tech careers.
- Support the investment, development, implementation, and utilization of emerging technologies in Iowa.
TAI 2023 Legislative Priorities
- Connectivity: Facilitate high-performance internet connectivity using the best available technologies for all Iowans.
- Cybersecurity: Build awareness of known and emerging cyber threats and incentivize smart cybersecurity practices to protect Iowans and their data.
- Data Privacy: Standardize data privacy policies, ensuring Iowans have access to and control of their personal data.
- Business Growth: Support funding for programs that drive growth and innovation within Iowa businesses and communities, including the Iowa Economic Development Authority and their Angel Investor and Innovation tax credits.
- State & Federal Funds: Ensure TAI is a recognized stakeholder in State & Federal appropriations for technology investments.
TAI 2023 Federal Policy Agenda
Develop, Attract and Retain a Highly Skilled, Diverse and Inclusive Workforce
- Reform immigration policy, increasing access to high-skilled workers
- Support K-12 through college STEM education
Support Infrastructure Appropriate for a Thriving Technology Ecosystem
- Federal uniformity of data privacy legislation and reporting requirements
- Facilitate access to high-performance internet connectivity using the best available technologies
Promote Innovation and Company Growth
- Tax policy that incentivizes innovation, growth and competitiveness
- Access to capital for early-stage companies
On February 8, 2023, TAI will host the 2023 TAI Legislative Launch at the AC Hotel by Marriott Des Moines East Village in Des Moines, Iowa. This event is an opportunity for Iowa’s technology industry to meet with legislators and discuss key topics impacting Iowa’s technology ecosystem and innovation economy.
Iowa Tech Policy Newsletter
Stay up to date throughout the upcoming legislative session by subscribing to our Iowa Tech Policy newsletter below. Join the TAI Iowa Tech Policy Newsletter for news, insights, podcasts, and more.